Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Guadalupe

Our Lady of Guadalupe - Olvera Street, Los Angeles, California


Although I'm Jewish, I'm very fond of Our Lady of Guadalupe. I love the image of her with the full-body halo (depicting the sun), the flowing robes, the folded hands, standing on a crescent moon. The story and imagery are bound up with classical Aztec legends and symbolism--don't most religions have some pagan connections?

The photos were taken on Olvera Street in Los Angeles, one of my favorite places on the planet. It's the oldest street in L.A., a real tourist destination full of shops that mostly sell the same merchandise. So it's a good idea to not buy the first things you see--they'll be cheaper down the street. I bought a t-shirt there with one of Frida Kahlo's bloodier paintings reproduced on it ("The Two Fridas"), as well as a papel picado paper chain that I wish I could find, and other fantastic tchotchkas.

The pictures at the left and center were taken in April and November 2008; they're the same shrine built in a grated window, but the center photo puts it more in context. I call it "Guadalupe and Friends." The photo on the right is from a gorgeous, endless display of Guadalupe statues of varying heights, from about 3 inches up to two feet and more. It's amazing how inexpensive they are. I have a 4" one that cost about $1.50; she's standing on a Corinthian column--perfectly lovely. I'm planning to display 8" x 10"s of these photos in golden frames in my hallway.

I also have a Guadalupe fountain that's a little on the tacky side--okay, it's totally kitsch. I've owned it for about three years but I'm still kind of nervous about it. My Guadalupe wristwatch with diamond chips stopped working recently but I wear it anyway. It's not about time; I can get that off my cellphone.

No comments: